Mittwoch, 6. Juni 2012

Today I went to Vienna´s University Clinic (AKH) and had a talking with Dr. Gstoettner, a well-known otologist and medical executive of the ear-nose-throath-departement.
It was the day when I officially pronounced my way with a CI. Dr. Gstoettner is well-known for CI-surgery and we had a talking about the medical aspects.
How long is the surgery? Is there a significant difference between a simple hearing aid and a electronic implantat (many American call them „Bionic“ for it)? How long is it needed for rehabilitation and re-learning hearing?
First of all, everybody should know that I am totally aware that this is a big decision and not an easy one! It´s a changing of a life.
I was born with high-degree hard-of-hearing and from my 11th month I was wearing hearing aids. They are not like everybody´s ear and they are only a substitute.
Nevertheless, I grew up with them, joined kindergarten and then a normal school for hearing children, not a special school. My career went up to university and I also learned foreign languages with my hearing aids. I know, it´s rather exceptional. But I lived my life with them and made my best with them.
In 2011 I got new hearing aids and something was missing. The tones were not clear anymore, it was somehow monotonous. A clear and bright „A“ sounds like a louder „E“. Crap! I don´t like this.
There is a strange feeling that the development of hearing aids are getting worse! For sure, digital hearing aids should be adjusted to each person, but they are also limited.
This is one of the reason why I decided a CI.
And it´s sad that a deaf friend told me that she will break our friendship if I decide for surgery.
It´s my decision and I don´t need such words from false friends who only use her status as „Deaf“ to get money and alms from the state!
It will be a long way....
At 4th July there will be a CT and MRT and at 9th July Dr. Gstoettner will tell me if my ear is ready for surgery.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen