Samstag, 26. Mai 2012

2 months ago, it happened that I found an information from my former colleague, who told me that a famous person who lived almost 150 years ago, was buried in the same cemetery like my mother´s family.
His name was Rudolf Slatin Pasha.
Then I searched in the internet and was stunned about his history! Almost unknown in Vienna, he was one of the three well-known officers in the British-Egyptian Army under the order of the Khedive who fought in the Sudan agains the Mahdi. The two others were Eminem Pasha and Gordon Pasha (Hollywood actor Charlton Heston played Gordon Pasha in "Karthoum").
He was captured for 10 years and when the British Army invaded the camp of the Mahdi, Slatin Pasha saved the life of the Mahdi and his family! A true hero.
Today the Sudan is still honoring Slatin Pasha - and he is buried at the same cemetry like my grandparents!
In June 2012, a documentation movie will appear in Vienna - a dialogue between Slatin Pasha´s grandson and the Mahdi´s grandson.
There are only two books about the life of Slatin Pasha who was also honored as knight by Victoria, Queen of England and Empress of India.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen